Monday, February 28, 2011

Week 5 - "Bits & Bytes"

I would definitely only allow .mp3 files to play on my mobile projection device. MP3 files take up much less space in terms of bytes. MP3 is more efficient because it compresses the files for audio frequencies our ears cannot interpret (any sound below 20 Hz or above 20,000 Hz).

We can assume that 1TB can hold about 250,000 songs with an average length of four minutes. This means each song takes up about 4398047 bytes, which is equal to about 4MB in the binary system. 20 GB is about 21.4 billion bytes in the binary system. Dividing that by the previous number of bytes given per song, that means my device could store up to almost 5000 songs.

Rounding we could just say that 20GB is 20,000MB. Likewise 20,000MB / 4MB [all digits in the binary system of counting] is about 5000 songs if each song takes up about 4MB. This is the amount of songs Apple has traditionally advertised for the 20GB iPod in the past before iPhones and iPod Touch and I believe it has remained the same.

My iPod I got in 2003 was the one just before the click-wheel and has these statistics. They no longer make an iPod Touch or even have iPod Classics with a 20 GB storage drive according to Apple's store. Though now you can get an older iPod with 160GB of storage for less than a 32-gig iPod Touch!(No, it doesn't still work and I stopped using it years ago, though it held on for many years...I think I have it buried away somewhere, the old relic.)

1 comment: