Monday, March 7, 2011

Week 6 - Computer Forensics

In this post I will talk about some pretty straightforward and direct applications I would make in the running of my business, lifted from and building on the lecture. First, for my company's financial transactions, I would encourage my customers to use a credit card when buying products online from my website or in the store. Credit cards have far more security and fraud protection legally, and it is much easier to get your money back if a purchase is signed for (and a charge made) in the account under your name but it is not you.

I would always shred important financial documents and to the greatest extent possible, I would try to physically destroy any important financial information electronically stored on a drive [ex: credit card and bank account numbers, PINs, social security numbers, addresses, mother's maiden names]. If we needed to keep the drive or it was in our best interest to save the storage medium, a drive with any sensitive information we didn't want to keep would be completely degaussed and overwritten [after deletion]. The drive would be wiped so that single random byte (character) would stand in its place, including memory.

Lastly, to keep our computers running quickly and to access information stored on the hard drive quickly, I would make sure to defragment out hard drives once a week. On Windows, I have used a utility system software called Diskeeper Lite for this purpose. Doing this reorganizes the hard disk drive so that the files are stored in contiguous sectors [all related files are grouped adjacent next to one another, not scattered about different physical locations on the disk tracks]. This would speed up the entire computer's performance.

No comments:

Post a Comment